European Scout Jamboree – Participants
The Surrey Unit to the European Jamboree will consist of 36 young people from all across the county, plus 4 leaders. Although you may not know the other young people in the Unit at first, your leaders will help making new friends easy. You will spend several weekends together in the 18 months before the Jamboree, getting to know each other, planning your experience and making sure you have all the skills you need for your Jamboree adventure.
Dates: 27th July to 6th August 2020
The basic cost to attend the European Jamboree as a participant is 1,850 Polish Zloty (approx. £376), which includes:
- Transfers to/from Gdansk airport or Central railway station
- Participation in the European Jamboree programme including off site activities
- Food during the European Jamboree
- Opening and closing ceremonies
Additionally, you will pay a minimum of £574 and a maximum of £774 for:
- Travel to/from Gdansk
- Pre or post Jamboree experience (sightseeing and other activities, including food and accommodation)
- Unit T shirts, badge, neckerchief and possibly other branded personal kit
- Travel insurance
As a unit you will plan together how to spend this portion of the fee, investigating options for travel, designing your pre/post Jamboree experience and creating your own branded personal kit.
Therefore, the total fee will be between £950 and £1150, depending on the plans your unit makes.
This cost does not include the following:
- Unit pre Jamboree preparation weekends, for which there will be a modest charge to cover costs
- Uniform (you will take your normal Scout uniform)
- Travel and camping kit including bags, tents and other camping equipment
- Spending money
The final payment schedule is still to be confirmed but is likely to be:
- January 2019 – 10%
- June 2019 – 30%
- October 2019 – 30%
- March 2020 – 30%
Scouts from low income backgrounds will be able to apply for a grant from the headquarters International Fund.
Who can apply?
You can apply to be a member of the Surrey Unit if you were born between 26 July 2002 and 31 December 2006.
We are looking for Scouts that:
- have an interest in international Scouting
- can work in a team
- are committed to Scouting
- are committed to the Jamboree experience, including training events
- can take responsibility for themselves
- have experience of camping and basic Scouting skills
- will get something special out of this unique experience
- will be happy to be away from home for two weeks
- Apply online HERE by Wednesday 31st July 2019
- You will receive an automated acknowledgement of your application within 1 hour. If you don’t receive this please contact James on email@example.com for assistance.
- We will let your Assistant District Commissioner (Scouts), District Explorer Scout Commissioner and District Commissioner know that you have applied
- All Scouts/Explorers whose applications show that they would be committed and enthusiastic members of the Jamboree unit, and whose applications are supported by their District, will go forward to the next stage
- The 36 Jamboree participants will be selected at random from these applications
- We aim to let you know by the end of November whether your application has been successful
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the application process for European Jamboree participants has been temporarily reopened until Wednesday 31st July. All applications are welcome. Please let us know if you are unable to meet this deadline and wish to apply.
Questions? Please contact James on firstname.lastname@example.org