European Scout Jamboree – Leaders
Are you bursting with energy and ideas? Are you most at home with young people, helping bring out the best in them? We are looking for a group of enthusiastic, dedicated adults to support Scouts from Surrey on an adventure of a lifetime to the European Scout Jamboree in Poland.
The Surrey Unit to the Jamboree will consist of 36 young people and four leaders drawn from all across the county. As leaders you will be responsible for the training and development of the young people in the Unit, delivered through a number of pre Jamboree camps/events you will run in the 18 months leading up to the Jamboree, at the Jamboree itself, plus possibly post Jamboree presentations and / or a reunion event. The job of Unit leadership is time consuming, demanding and very challenging, but also very rewarding.
Unlike a World Scout Jamboree, for the European Jamboree you will be responsible for organising your Unit’s travel to Gdansk and any kit and equipment that you need. You will also be free to organise pre or post event travel to make this an experience of a lifetime for the young people, choosing how you spend the portion of the fee that remains after the Jamboree fees have been paid. You will complete the visits abroad sign off process via the Surrey Scouts International Team, who will also be available to support you during the whole of your Jamboree journey, from selection onwards.
The basic cost to attend the European Jamboree as a leader is 1,850 Polish Zloty (approx. £376), which includes:
- Transfers to/from Gdansk airport or Central railway station
- Participation in the European Jamboree programme including off site activities
- Food during the European Jamboree
- Opening and closing ceremonies
Additionally, you will pay a minimum of £574 and a maximum of £774 for:
- Travel to/from Gdansk
- Pre or post Jamboree experience (sightseeing and other activities, including food and accommodation)
- Unit T shirts, badge, neckerchief and possibly other branded personal kit
- Travel insurance
As a unit you will plan together how to spend this portion of the fee, investigating options for travel, designing your pre/post Jamboree experience and creating your own branded personal kit.
Therefore, the total fee will be between £950 and £1150, depending on the plans your unit makes.
This cost does not include the following:
- Unit pre Jamboree preparation weekends, for which there will be a modest charge to cover costs
- Uniform (you will take your normal Scout uniform)
- Travel and camping kit including bags, tents and other camping equipment
- Spending money
The final payment schedule is still to be confirmed but is likely to be:
- January 2019 – 10%
- June 2019 – 30%
- October 2019 – 30%
- March 2020 – 30%
Leaders from low income backgrounds will be able to apply for a grant from the headquarters International Fund.
Who can apply?
You can apply to be a leader if you are at least 18 years old. You should choose which of the following roles you would like to be considered for:
- Unit Leader – has overall responsibility for the unit
- Deputy Unit Leader – supports the Unit Leader in the overall management of the unit
- Assistant Unit Leader (x2) – works closely with the Unit Leader and Deputy Unit leader to run the unit
We are looking for leaders that:
- have experience of working with young people in the participant age group (the youngest will be 12 at the time of joining the Unit and the eldest almost 18 at the start of the Jamboree)
- have time amongst other commitments – there will be a lot to do including the organisation of pre Jamboree training events, Unit travel to Poland, the Unit’s choice of pre or post Jamboree experience, looking after Unit finances, communicating with Unit members and their parents etc
- can work in a team, are open-minded to others’ ideas and can take joint responsibility for the operation of the Unit
- have the necessary camping and cooking skills to ensure that the young people operate in a safe, hygienic way and are able to spend as much time as possible enjoying the Jamboree
- can deal with emergencies and unforeseen difficulties during the event and are able to work co-operatively with the rest of the team, asking for support when needed
- if possible, have previous experience of an international Scouting event (either as an adult or a young person) or of international Scouting and other countries, cultures and languages
- are in good health and have sufficient physical and mental stamina to lead the Unit during the Jamboree when days are long and weather could be challenging
- are self-reliant, robust and capable so that they will be able to lead their young people in a variety of circumstances, for example, planning and leading a programme as part of a potential pre or post event experience
- Complete your form – Surrey_UL_Application_Form – and send the completed application form to email@example.com by Sunday 14th October 2018
- We will acknowledge your application by email within 48 hours – if you don’t hear from us please send your application again and/or make contact via the county office
- We will let your District Commissioner know that you have applied and ensure that they support your application
- All leaders whose applications show that they have suitable skills, experience, enthusiasm and time availability, and whose applications are supported by their District, will go forward to the next stage
- There will be a leader selection event over the weekend 27/28 October. This will run alongside the FrightEX24 Explorer event at Bentley Copse Activity Centre. You will only be expected to attend on one day and will both have an informal interview and assist with aspects of the event. If you are unable to attend on one or both days, please let us know when you send your application.
- We aim to let you know by the end of November whether your application has been successful, sooner if we can
The application process for European Jamboree participants is now closed and we are in the process of forming the Surrey Unit. We’ll update these pages in spring 2019 with info about the Unit and how you can follow their adventures.
Questions? Please contact Helen on firstname.lastname@example.org.